Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Major This, Major That

Current status: sitting on the couch, waiting for the Econ online experiment to start (KILL ME), drinking a cup of coffee, and watching the Roll Tide War Eagle documentary on ESPN. I might or might not be convincing my mother to make pancakes in the AM to prep my stomach for the four hours of emotional turmoil that is the AP English exam. Also, I'm sporting the new XXXL t-shirt my dad brought me back from his latest trip to Tuscaloosa. He always knows exactly what to get me...his last surprise gift was that Alabama football helmet above my desk, proudly bearing the number 14 and the signature of Nick Saban. (I feel obligated and ashamed to admit that I just had to rely on autocorrect to fix my spelling of "signature". And to think that I might be an English major!)

Which brings me to my next point...

WHAT THE HAIL MARY SHOULD I MAJOR IN?

Here's the options:

Journalism.
This is most along the lines of what I would want to do, which I'm not totally sure what that is yet. But if I did know, I think it would most likely be it. So, you might ask, why don't you just major in that? That makes logical sense to the average human being! Well, rhetorical questioning nonexistent blog reader, I have a fear that would make me feel like I was settling or that I wouldn't be as diverse as a student. Ridiculous? Yes. Welcome to the confusing chaos that is the inner workings of my mind.

History.
My current major. I like history a lot, and I feel like this gives me a lot of options. But then again, I'm not sure if I like any of these options. 

English.
I like English. I'm good at English. I speak English fairly eloquently. I feel like English should definitely deserve a spot on the list.

French.
I'm not very good at French, but I love it. And I really want to be able to speak it fluently and I would like to study abroad in France at some point in my life, therefore a knowledge of French would probably come in handy. Anyone who has ever been in a French class with me (that would be at least 6 classes worth, because I'm a proud product of the Mountain Brook School System's foreign language track), probably is thinking that I have really lost my marbles this time because French is not necessarily my strong subject. But I really, really feel like I could get. But then what could I do with a French degree?

What I'm leaning most towards at the moment is...
Major: Journalism
Minor: English
Taking French classes on the side.
BUT at the same time, I NEED to be taking computer skills classes because one of my biggest fears is growing up to be like my family who is technologically incapable, but is convinced they're not. Okay, maybe not my biggest fear, but it's definitely up there! And I feel like you either do a language or computer classes.

So, that's all the word vomit you get tonight, blogsters, because homegirl has to get plentyyy of shut eye in order to make a 5 on her AP exam tomorrow. Especially since my chances are the highest on this one because government depends solely on my desire to study, and economics and French are both lost causes. I know you're wondering why I debate majoring in French if I'm so horrible at it, and sometimes I wonder the same thing too, but I just know I could get it if I really sat down and focused. And if my French class didn't harass me.

Okay I need to go to bed now. I'm started to startle myself.

Allie

"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

1 comment:

  1. My suggestion....major in journalism with a minor in English. :) Take a French class on the side as an elective...and BY ALL MEANS...study abroad in France at least for a summer!!

    But for now...DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT!! Enjoy the last few days of senior year and your summer. You can figure out the major thing in college. I changed mine after two years and still could have graduated early. You'll be fine!!

    ReplyDelete