Sunday, November 4, 2012

We're All Running

I wasn't a runner until early this summer, when I sat down, looked myself straight in the eye and said, "Allison Leigh Ingram, your cheerleading days are over and you must pursue some sort of exercise outside of your walks between Gilchrist and Mountain Brook Creamery. Why not running?"

And I grabbed my iPod, downloaded a Couch to 5K app, and ran.

It started with the dragging feet, the I think I'm going to die if this dang app makes have to run an entire two minutes, limp-run. Slowly I discovered the Seaside backroads, the winding trails of Highlands, NC, and Jemison Trail in the early mornings before the heat and population of Mountain Brook makes it's debut. Before I knew it, I could run five minutes. Then it was 10. Then it was 25.

But then I went to college and the runs took a backseat to other priorities, like you know, making friends, handling college classes and walking to any location without use of GPS. Move in day, rush and classes starting left me in a three week daze. Until finally the day came when I laced up my shoes and braved the standing Alabama heat to revisit my summertime mission. Finally, I realized that maybe these runs weren't the Devil's attempt of slow and meticulous torture and that there was the faint possibility that I could, brace yourselves for this one, enjoy running. Or at least that feeling of simple satisfaction and ease that follows you throughout your day after you start it by jumping out of bed immediately onto the pavement. And sometimes, pre-sunrise Tuscaloosa was a better therapist than any friends or family members. 

None of this means that I always love going on my daily runs. One day my motivation could be that if I do today, then Saturday I'll take a break. Or I downloaded the new Taylor Swift album and I want a chance to listen to it through and through. There's also the "Oops, I went home this weekend and I had all my favorite foods. I should probably get off my bed and restart the week." But for the days when all that stands between me and the run is pure desire, I remember how much I love to drown out anything for 30-45 minutes and to run. To focus on something that isn't new or awkward, something that is guaranteed daily.

These runs were started as a way to stay in shape, or to stay busy, but before I knew it, here I am watching Breaking Amish on the couch and drawing a parallel between my daily routine and my actual living, breathing life. Some days we clear the sleep out of our eyes and are all in for living today; going through your tasks with a positive, "I can take on the world" attitude. But just as often, the days come where it seems easier to curl back in your corner bed and block out anything trying, anything that hurts. Regardless of the mindset, you still persist in putting yourself out there on the stage of the world to fight for a better life for yourself. Maybe that entails a better, healthier wellbeing, a better spring in your step in the afternoon, or even a better day down the road.

Just as if I only ran on the days where it was easy, if I only truly lived the days that came naturally alongside ease, I wouldn't be able to bask in the eventual accomplishment. Every time I walk down the Quad and greet faces that weren't familiar before three months ago, or receive a good grade I worked for, or realize that the feelings of loneliness are slipping away just as surely as the bursts of unabated joy are being ushered in, I'm reminded how far I've come.
How far I've ran. 

Pumpkin pancakes, Fall Saturdays in Mountain Brook, an Alabama win against LSU and a house full of pledge sisters bring this weekend to a close. Hope your's was half as sweet as mine!

To the Moon and Back,
Allie


"I think I have this thing where everybody has to think I'm the greatest. And if they aren't completely knocked out and dazzled and slightly intimidated by me, I don't feel good about myself.” 
–Roald Dahl, Fantastic Mr. Fox

3 comments:

  1. First off, I have tried just like you to make myself run, but I lack any motivation to my horrifyingly scarring past with cross country... Never the less, this post makes me really really want to try and get back out there. So we'll see... Secondly, that quote by Roald Dahl is one of my absolute all time favorites. Have a great day, And I'm still obsessed with your blog.
    always,
    Fox Carlson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fox! Glad you enjoyed the post and trust me, the Roald Dahl quote is definitely one of my personal favorites too! P.S. I might want you to make me a journal soon when you get the time...

      Delete
    2. Allison, I would LOVE to. If you really want one, whenever you are ready, feel free to email me at foxcarlson@charter.net.

      Delete