Thursday, July 12, 2012

Follow Up

Living Hope, (read about them here) was once one of five organizations in the world that was given the United States funding designated towards the fight against HIV and AIDS. They used this subside to feed, teach, and encourage the children I came to know in the two weeks I was there. 

When the new office took over, this funding was eliminated. I would even be one would think that cutting international funding would be a good way to fix our nation's failing economy. It's easy to see that America has problems of our own that need serious attention, but the issues that were given a new priority were "condoms, abortion clinics, and men having sex with men." Just by listening to John and Avril Thomas (the founders) passionately describe their mission goals and witnessing first hand the impact Living Hope has in Cape Town, as well as people all over the world, it is close to impossible to not see the great power and change they are invoking. They have a purpose, they're aims are firmly rooted in Christ, and they effectively work day after day seeking to aid God's kingdom. Living Hope sees a need, and addresses it in the most productive way possible for both sides. They take out no loans, carry no debts, and are currently working to resupply their funds that will disappear October 2012. 

One of their methods is the DAD program, or Dollar A Day. 31 dollars a month. They desire to find 1000 DADS, and right now they only have 300. Being there and listening to John and Avril, who take time out of their busy lives to come and talk to each team to explain every aspect of their mission, discuss their predicament influenced me to come home and organize my finances so that I can become a DAD. I'm infamous in my family for being the worst at managing money, and for years I've been trying to get on board. This was the straw that broke the camel's back. I was inspired to support Living Hope and finally had the initiative to organize my weak spot for the glory of God's work. 

Join me, blog bud, in Living Hope's mission to get to 1000 DADs. It's easy, and I can assure you that I have seen the money at work. It's not misused, it's not vaguely spread, but rather is intentionally prayed over and sent to where the need is most. Living Hope is one of the best run and intentional organizations I've ever seen, and I invite you to take part in their effort to help those who hurt. 

Thanks y'all!
Allie

"Forgive and give as it was your last opportunity. Love like there's no tomorrow. And if tomorrow comes, love again."
- Mother Theresa

No comments:

Post a Comment