And there I was.
Sitting in my favorite chair in the den, watching Antiques Roadshow with a cup of coffee while simultaneously grazing StumbleUpon for inspirational quotes, that it hit me.
It's really not that fun trying to be a hipster.
For the past year, I've gotten caught up in the whole "hipster" scene. And when I say "gotten caught up", I really mean I've "tried" to get caught up. You know what I'm referring to, right? The jean shorts, vague musical tastes, and deep individualistic blogger types who take pride in being different from everyone else. And I fell head over heels into the craze, and rather unsuccessfully, attempted to mold myself into the societal rebel who does what she wants because she's too unique to march to the beat to any drummer, but her own.
Let's examine my person. I bake/think about baking more than any person under the age of thirty who is unmarried ever should. Today I even read a Barefoot Contessa cookbook at work and I don't know if you're familiar with the ever so fabulous Ina Garten, but she's not what you would call a rogue Food Network host. My favorite clothing stores are J. Crew and Anthropologie, and you might think that some of those pieces are eclectic, but the ones I purchase are always the most mainstream items in the place. In my free time, I go get frozen yogurt, go on power walks with friends, and wander around Mountain Brook looking for ways to fill my time. My favorite school book I've ever read is Pride and Prejudice because I was relieved to have a nice happy ending for once. I spend my days jamming to country music, John Mayer, Train, and Demi Lovato.
In my attempt to be a hipster, I tried to buy clothes I wasn't insane about at Urban Outfitters. I painted my nails Lincoln Park After Dark AKA black. I spent hours deciding about which Ray Bans to get and ended up with a safe pair of wayfarers. I denied any invitation to view The Notebook just so that I could say that I'm a 18 year old girl who has no idea what "If you're a bird, I'm a bird" even means. It's now that it all clicks, though. If you're not really a hipster, it's not fun to pretend to be one.
So, world, I have decided to not be a hipster.
*cries of disappointment, mass confusion, and wails of agony*
In abandon of my former lifestyle, I choose to embrace my "Cajun Shrimp" colored nails, Hot pink J. Crew shorts, and the cookie recipe I just found online. I might explore the style choices of nautical, considering 50% percent of my wardrobe is stripes and I would give anything in the world to climb to the top of a light house. Maybe I'll go with the classic Southern charm persona as my countdown to Alabama football season is slowly dwindling day by day and I help myself to a third serving of collard greens. Who knows, I might even watch The Notebook.
My friends who actually read this will probably be relieved that I am ceasing in this pursuit, and I can't say I'm not excited too. But no worries, I'm sure to find some other area to consume my life around and to bug bystanders about to no end.
I'll end this strange post (this might actually take the cake for the most ridiculous thing I have ever written, including my college essay about accepting myself as a cat person) with a brain teaser for you. The other morning, I was enjoying a lovely morning run down a local gravel trail in the Brook. I was pumping away, full speed ahead...until I caught a root and completely ATE IT. Literally slid on my stomach five feet. I stood up quickly, dusted myself off, evaluated the scratches on my palms and elbows, and proceeded to look around for bystanders. There was none, so I proceeded on my run like nothing happened.
So here's the riddle that gives a nod to the stand by "if a tree falls in the woods" enigma : if Allison wipes out on a trail, and no one is around to see it, is it still embarrassing?
Yes. Yes it is.
To the moon and back,
Allie
"There's so much that we miss, trying so hard to be rich and famous, pretty and thin, to win. It's a shame that youth is wasted on the young."
-"You Can Finally Meet My Mom", Train
So, world, I have decided to not be a hipster.
*cries of disappointment, mass confusion, and wails of agony*
In abandon of my former lifestyle, I choose to embrace my "Cajun Shrimp" colored nails, Hot pink J. Crew shorts, and the cookie recipe I just found online. I might explore the style choices of nautical, considering 50% percent of my wardrobe is stripes and I would give anything in the world to climb to the top of a light house. Maybe I'll go with the classic Southern charm persona as my countdown to Alabama football season is slowly dwindling day by day and I help myself to a third serving of collard greens. Who knows, I might even watch The Notebook.
My friends who actually read this will probably be relieved that I am ceasing in this pursuit, and I can't say I'm not excited too. But no worries, I'm sure to find some other area to consume my life around and to bug bystanders about to no end.
I'll end this strange post (this might actually take the cake for the most ridiculous thing I have ever written, including my college essay about accepting myself as a cat person) with a brain teaser for you. The other morning, I was enjoying a lovely morning run down a local gravel trail in the Brook. I was pumping away, full speed ahead...until I caught a root and completely ATE IT. Literally slid on my stomach five feet. I stood up quickly, dusted myself off, evaluated the scratches on my palms and elbows, and proceeded to look around for bystanders. There was none, so I proceeded on my run like nothing happened.
So here's the riddle that gives a nod to the stand by "if a tree falls in the woods" enigma : if Allison wipes out on a trail, and no one is around to see it, is it still embarrassing?
Yes. Yes it is.
To the moon and back,
Allie
"There's so much that we miss, trying so hard to be rich and famous, pretty and thin, to win. It's a shame that youth is wasted on the young."
-"You Can Finally Meet My Mom", Train
No comments:
Post a Comment