Sunday, January 29, 2012

Cake Balls

Confession time: I'm secretly SO FLIPPING JEALOUS of people who create food recipes that they can put on their blog. I long for the cooking ingenuity and creativeness that wouldn't require me to pour over cooking books, pinterest, the food network website, etc. for hours to find exactly what I want to make.

I'm also super jealous of people who have a "famous" desert. Like one they are known for and people request for endlessly for any occaison. My friend, Liz, makes these chocolate chip cookies that are to die for, and she doesn't even eat them because she doesn't like chocolate. We don't think she's a real person. My mom is a fantastic cook and I think is known for pound cakes. I have numerous friends who make double chocolate mocha cookies, peanut butter cups, cream cheese swirl cupcakes, and fudge that compare to no other. But, I think after 4 hours of baking last night, I think I've found my calling card.

CAKE BALLS.

Are they basic? Maybe. Are they a well known commodity? Meh... Were people obsessed with them when I brought them to school? Yes ma'am! My sweet cousin Lindsey stood with me and walked me through the process last night, and I have to say, I have a new favorite baking subject.

So for the first time EVER, here is a recipe posted on the blog of your's truly.

Cake Balls

-1 box of cake mix (we used funfetti and red velvet last night, but any would work!)
-1 container of icing 
-1 package of almond bark chocolate

(yes I know it's quite a home cooked meal)


Step 1: Make a cake according to the box of cake mix.


Step 2: Let the cake cool completely. To save time, we stuck ours in the freezer for about 10-15 minutes.


Step 3: The fun part. Mix the cake together in a big bowl with your hands. Add the tub of icing and mix that together too. It's a big fun gooey mixture and the funfetti version looked a scary amount like my mother's homemade stuffing. Let this sit in the freezer for about 15 minutes.


Step 4: Bring the goop out and form it into balls about tablespoon size. Place the balls on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Let these sit in the freezer for about 10 minutes again to let them firm up.


Step 5: Break out that almond bark and melt it in a double boiler over the stove. Get a fork, or a toothpick, and dip the cake balls into the chocolate and replace them on the baking sheet. Let them sit until firm and then, you're done!


Yes these are very time consuming, BUT the good part is they come in stages. Perfect baking idea when you're studying for a test and need a study break. They also make a ton! I think I had 55 balls per cake. That means in one school day, my friends ate 110 balls. Wowzas.


Well, that's all I have for today for my little cooking blog. And I give a big shout out to my friend


HANNAH MANCER
The new Miss Congeniality of the Miss Olympian Pageant!!!

I'm so freakin proud of her. Also, for celebration, we went to ihop last night and she had a chocolate milk, double hot chocolate, and the ultimate chocolate chip pancakes. Respect.

To the moon and back,
Allie

"The Lord has done the fighting for you. You need only to be still." -Exodus 14:14

"I tell you all of this to give you peace. In this world, you will have trouble. But take heart, because I have overcome the world." -John 16:33

1 comment:

  1. I love baking with you because I get all the fun of baking without having all of the sweet treats tempting me for days to come. So glad the cake balls were such a big hit!

    ReplyDelete