FOOTBALL: Well. Mountain Brook football has come to an ending. We made it to round three of the playoffs and lost in triple overtime at Oxford. And let's just say, it was quite a controversial ending, with one ref calling a pass in the in zone good, and the other calling it no good. But with the entire Oxford student section jeering down their backs what do you think they decided to go with? Oh yeah, I'm not bitter at all.
Surprisingly, I handled it well. And when I say "well", I completely shut down and became numb. I didn't cry. I didn't yell. I just walked around and hugged my friends. I stayed that way after the game, on the bus ride home, and even sitting alone in my car at the high school until 1 AM waiting for my brother to get back. Then, on the way home, Wayne and I completely broke down. It was just a lot to process at once: no more football games, dress up days, pre game meals, homecomings, run through signs (HALLELUJAH), face tattoos, after game parties, push ups after touchdowns, or "My Spartan ___ (inset plays, cheers, dances, etc.) for MBHS" buttons. No more running out in front of the football team, getting spinning hugs, congregating at my house after the games (ok, so we will still congregate, but not decked out in our green and gold), walking through the hallways seeing football jerseys or cheerleading uniforms.
And even though it's hard to handle, we all knew it was going to happen eventually. But I had an amazing senior year. We were undefeated regular season, we BEAT HOOVER, we actually had school spirit, and I absolutely adored every second of it. So yes, it completely sucks that it's all over, but we had an fantastic ride.
NEW YORK Y'ALL
Hmm Hmmm, can you say Laine, Morgan, Libby, and Allison take NYC? Picture this...traveling to The City during Thanksgiving break, dancing in front of millions at the single greatest parade in the world, and being with three of my favorite cheerleaders/dorian. We went and stayed in a hotel with 2000 other cheerleaders and dancers to perform in the Macy's Day Parade and in addition to lonnnnnnggg rehearsals, we also did the whole NYC scene. So yeah, it was slightly fun.
![]() |
| Star Trek warriors or cheerleaders. You tell me. |
- First Broadway play! ...and I slept through the first half. #unculturedfailure
- Cupcakes from Sprinkles, Magnolia Bakery (my fav), and Crumbs. Literally ate a cupcake every day.
![]() |
| This is not real life. |
![]() |
| #thatawesomemomentwhen you think you're life can't get any better, then Usher shows up |
-Dinner at Ellen's Stardust Diner. Laine, Morgan, and I slept from 7 PM- 8:30PM then navigated by ourselves to the cutest little diner on Broadway for dinner. The waiters took turns entertaining the customers with their amazing voices (they're all aspiring Broadway singers). I had a burger. *Side note: everyday in cheerleading, I say to myself, and sometimes others, "I want a burger." But I never eat any because of fat/carbs/calories. But I sat down, looked at the menu, and ordered myself the bacon and bleu cheese mac-daddy of burgers and I relished every bite. I also had 3 cups of coffee after dinner. Total Marilyn Move. The diner also reminded me of the one in my favorite underrated Christmas movie, All I Want For Christmas. So needless to say, I was in love. Exact quote: "I'm really happy...can we just stay here forever?"
-Thanksgiving day: 6:30AM call time. 7AM-12PM: marched in the parade/froze to death. 1-5: feasted on a gourmet Thanksgiving lunch of Dominoes pizza and Dunkin Doughnuts blueberry coffee and napped. 6: Dinner at the New York Athletic Club. Talk about classiness. We got ballin' Shirley Temples, stalked a ton of Winklevoss Twin lookalikes/ NYC socialites, and all had a good hair night, if I do say so myself. All while overlooking Central Park.
![]() |
| Best Thanksgiving ever? |
![]() |
| Twinsies. |
![]() |
| You know were absolutely adorable. |
![]() |
| New York newcomers. |
![]() |
| The Matriarch and I |
CURRENT OBSESSIONS:
- Research paper time...and I'm enjoying it? Peace. Love. Chaucer's irony in Canterbury Tales.
- Garden & Gun magazine. I discovered this on the plane from Baltimore to Birmingham. The Vogue of the South AND it's located in Charleston? All I want for Christmas is an internship. And to be Beyonce, but that's a different story.
- Dark Chocolate.
- It's officially my favorite time of year, CHRISTMAS.
- Alabama vs. LSWho rematch. Stage: NOLA, BCS National Championship. Roll tide Paul.
![]() |
| Halloween part 1: lawn gnomes |
![]() |
| Halloween Part 2: Taylor Swift, featured in the music video for "You Belong With Me". |
That's all I've got for this very overdue post. I'm still in love with my family, enthralled by my friends, and captivated by my Christ, and reaffirmed in all of this daily.
To the moon and back,
Ali
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live, remember
that. –JK Rowling











Oh, how I've missed your blog posts! So glad you are back...hopefully with more regularity. Of course, I can't complain because since school has started my posts have been pretty non-existent as well.
ReplyDeleteThanks for making me cry this morning...what a fabulous senior year this is turning out to be for you...and just think, you're not even half way through!