Confession: I'm an October junkie.
But as if you didn't know that already...
So far my month has consisted of a fall break home and the start of initiation week with little else. I'm a sucker for a good trip home. Side note: I have been home twice since college has started and considering I only live 45 minutes away, this is a big deal! Don't even try to convince me you don't love your own bed and family's undivided devotion from the second you walk in the door.
Wednesday was my first full day back in the Ham and I spent the morning in my new favorite coffee shop hang out, Urban Standard. I had a LARGE coffee complete with a pumpkin chocolate chip muffin that was the bee's knees. Whenever I eat pumpkin and chocolate together, I'm instantly taken back to Spring Break when I first had the combination together in the form of my friend's mom's gooey and completely sinful Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread. And just like that, I'm back dancing barefoot around the island in the kitchen, bathing suit and PFG clad with the sea at my back and friends around every corner, listening to Jack Johnson echo throughout the house.
Thursday was spent hitting up my most missed hotspots of J. Crew, Anthropologie and Bottega with my Mom, along with the best nap known to mankind, complete with awakening to the buzz of the coffee pot for the 5PM pick me up that we collectively crave. My friends returned to my house as if August never came, and continued their activities of hovering around the kitchen as I made cookie brownies and talking with my parents who I believe miss them more than they miss me.
I also had the chance to hang out in Auburn, which I'm always up for; just not for the football team. Or night life. But if it means I get to see my friends from literally across the country, go to a Luke Bryan concert and sit in Big Blue Bagel with my newly reunited best friend and do history homework during the game, then the trip is certainly worthwhile. Another up side to journeying down to the plains is that it makes you Tuscaloosa homesick. I itch to feel the Strip's energy, relax in my cozy bed in Tutwiler, immerse myself in the chatter and bubble of the Alpha Chi house and soak in the way the Quad looks at night so much that I make record time from Birmingham to Tuscaloosa. Back to Title Town. Back to school. Back to the new normal.
Initiation is underway and I don't know how it's possible, but I feel like I can safely say I've gotten closer to my pledge class in the past week than I have in the past two months. Those moments of "I can actually get used to this" come more and more often, as do my trips to the new Ferg Starbucks, which so happens to be the largest in the nation. I know what you're thinking; Alabama? I don't quite get it either but I'm not about to start questioning. This week also requires all the pledges to dress up for class, meaning I get to break out the boots and jeans and prance around campus flaunting my pledge pin for the world to see. Well, that's highly romanticized because I generally roll out of bed and grumble at my closet to produce an outfit that will make do in substitution of my T-shirt and nike shorts get up. But I am a sucker for fall clothing, fall nail polish colors, fall foods and fall busyness.
Initiation, house shopping, homecoming, football season; I barely get the chance to stop and catch my breathe, or even take the time to realize that I'm used to Tuscaloosa. Yes, I said it. I'm used to Tuscaloosa, my schedule and my friends. And we all thought that would never happen! Hard days will come, but thankfully the good days continue to appear more and more often.
Like this week, for instance:
100 on my math test.
New pumpkin flavored coffee.
Dinner with my mom along the Black Warrior River at the Cypress Inn, my favorite Tuscaloosa restaurant.
Phi Gam Swap. Why did I stay out until two last night when I had to be up at seven, and out until three or four tonight? Because I am dumb. I am dumb.
Big/Little Reveal.
Schedule organizing, and I'm already excited about my classes for next semester? I want to take a "Southern Values" class and I'm wooing with completely normal, controlled excitement.
Signing the house with a porch and a comfy white bedroom.
Breakfast at Tiffany's opens on Broadway in 2013. Someone gets me in the Big Apple.
And tonight, Carnation Ball, which I have neglected to start getting ready for and my date gets here in an hour. But here I sit, picking at my custom Boar's Head sandwich, void of the onions, pepper jack cheese and spicy mustard it usually contains in lieu of tonight's events, blogging about my utter happiness with my favorite TLC wedding show on.
He puts the lonely into families.
C'est vrai.
To the Moon and Back,
Allie
Thursday was spent hitting up my most missed hotspots of J. Crew, Anthropologie and Bottega with my Mom, along with the best nap known to mankind, complete with awakening to the buzz of the coffee pot for the 5PM pick me up that we collectively crave. My friends returned to my house as if August never came, and continued their activities of hovering around the kitchen as I made cookie brownies and talking with my parents who I believe miss them more than they miss me.
I also had the chance to hang out in Auburn, which I'm always up for; just not for the football team. Or night life. But if it means I get to see my friends from literally across the country, go to a Luke Bryan concert and sit in Big Blue Bagel with my newly reunited best friend and do history homework during the game, then the trip is certainly worthwhile. Another up side to journeying down to the plains is that it makes you Tuscaloosa homesick. I itch to feel the Strip's energy, relax in my cozy bed in Tutwiler, immerse myself in the chatter and bubble of the Alpha Chi house and soak in the way the Quad looks at night so much that I make record time from Birmingham to Tuscaloosa. Back to Title Town. Back to school. Back to the new normal.
Initiation is underway and I don't know how it's possible, but I feel like I can safely say I've gotten closer to my pledge class in the past week than I have in the past two months. Those moments of "I can actually get used to this" come more and more often, as do my trips to the new Ferg Starbucks, which so happens to be the largest in the nation. I know what you're thinking; Alabama? I don't quite get it either but I'm not about to start questioning. This week also requires all the pledges to dress up for class, meaning I get to break out the boots and jeans and prance around campus flaunting my pledge pin for the world to see. Well, that's highly romanticized because I generally roll out of bed and grumble at my closet to produce an outfit that will make do in substitution of my T-shirt and nike shorts get up. But I am a sucker for fall clothing, fall nail polish colors, fall foods and fall busyness.
Initiation, house shopping, homecoming, football season; I barely get the chance to stop and catch my breathe, or even take the time to realize that I'm used to Tuscaloosa. Yes, I said it. I'm used to Tuscaloosa, my schedule and my friends. And we all thought that would never happen! Hard days will come, but thankfully the good days continue to appear more and more often.
Like this week, for instance:
100 on my math test.
New pumpkin flavored coffee.
Dinner with my mom along the Black Warrior River at the Cypress Inn, my favorite Tuscaloosa restaurant.
Phi Gam Swap. Why did I stay out until two last night when I had to be up at seven, and out until three or four tonight? Because I am dumb. I am dumb.
Big/Little Reveal.
Schedule organizing, and I'm already excited about my classes for next semester? I want to take a "Southern Values" class and I'm wooing with completely normal, controlled excitement.
Signing the house with a porch and a comfy white bedroom.
Breakfast at Tiffany's opens on Broadway in 2013. Someone gets me in the Big Apple.
And tonight, Carnation Ball, which I have neglected to start getting ready for and my date gets here in an hour. But here I sit, picking at my custom Boar's Head sandwich, void of the onions, pepper jack cheese and spicy mustard it usually contains in lieu of tonight's events, blogging about my utter happiness with my favorite TLC wedding show on.
He puts the lonely into families.
C'est vrai.
To the Moon and Back,
Allie
"I don’t ask you to love me always like this, but I ask you
to remember. Somewhere inside of me there will always be the person I am
tonight."
– F. Scott Fitzgerald
No comments:
Post a Comment