So, I've been kind of in a writing funk recently. I blame summer boredom and the lack of anything remotely interesting filling my days as a non-senior/high school student and a pre-freshmen/college student. It's a sort of strange purgatory in a way; I'm straddling two different life phases and I'm just sort of hanging in the balance in a limbo like state. Stop me if I'm wrong, but I think you've heard enough of the everyday mundaneness that are summer jobs, baking experiments, and target runs.
What's a journalism and history double major to do in a time like this?
Resort to an Instagram 30 Day Challenge, of course.
If you can capture it visually, then it 100% can be captured in words.
Day 1: Favorite Food
30 Day Challenge, you're making it way to easy. How did you know to start off on my favorite subject?
If I was to be sent off to a desert island, or better yet, anywhere outside of a 5 mile radius from Auburn campus center, and you said, "Allison, you get to eat one food to survive. What do you want?", I would most likely say birthday cake. But not just any cake, it would have to be an Olexa's birthday cake. Most birthday cakes have the "cake to frosting ratio" completely skewed, but not Olexa's. It's not that I don't like the actual cake part, but if the layers are too thick, there is no way in hey that the middle of the layer isn't going to be dry in comparison to the 25% that is closest to the icing border. In an Olexa's cake, the icing and cake layers are perfectly ratio-ed, 1:1, and so you are never deprived of the appropriate amount of each element. Also, the cake is fabulously moist, and the icing has the richness of buttercream, but the substance and strength to support the meat of the cake. Dear Mrs. Olexa, whoever you may be, I owe you so much.
And while we're at it, if the same person who asked me the question earlier, also inquired, "Allison, if you could eat at one restaurant for the rest of your life, which one would it be?" It would probably be Olexa's too. Technically this place is the poster child for chick food, but it's got my southern obsessions like chicken salad, and also my French favs like quiche and a mean goat cheese salad.
Honorable Mention (Food):
Peanut Butter
Everything Bagels (toasted with light cream cheese)
Pancakes
Barbeque anything
Turnip Greens
Honorable Mention (Restaurants):
Chez Fon Fon, Birmingham
The Last Resort, Athens
Pablo's, Birmingham
DePalma's, Tuscaloosa
Irondale Cafe, Birmingham
To the Moon and Back,
Allie
"I learned to cook when I was 36. Before then, I just ate."
- Julia Child

No comments:
Post a Comment