Monday, September 3, 2012

College Victories

It's funny, you go to college and the little things are causes for the biggest celebrations. For example: I made it to the Rec and back one day last week for the first time without having to use a GPS. The same is true when I go on runs and I don't have to pull out the map on my phone to keep from getting lost. Granted the people of 12th street probably are wondering who this random freshmen girl is who runs circles around their neighborhood every morning, but the point is that I'm getting there. I try a new restaurant, like Pita Pit, Mugshots, or Buffalo Phil's and I feel like your typical collegian/Tuscaloosian. 

Other new things are school work. The classes themselves aren't that hard, but the management is. Try juggling two journalism classes, an "intro to listening" class (Fine Art credit, don't judge me), a completely online class on grammar, which I hate because I believe mechanics is essentially word math,  history that is a repeat of 8th grade world history, and of course, Math 112 aka, online mathematical torture. But no worries, I think I'm getting the swing of things due to those ten lovely study hours that AXO requires it's pledges to fufill every week. Those were a pain, until I discovered the Fat Free French Vanilla Latte machine in the snack kitchen and suddenly, I have the faint glimmer of hope that I will over come this obstacle. We're talking little victories here, people.

Another instant pick me up is the sight of a familiar face. I can't tell you how many times I've been at a party and seen someone that I maybe said 5 words to from Kindergarten to Senior year but literally attacked them on sight because I knew them. I promise I'm not that pathetic of a freshmen, but being around new-ness 24/7 is a lot to handle, especially coming from the girl who can sometimes feel suffocated with new roommates and a new sorority even though she still feels like she knows half of the student body, coming from Birmingham and all. The same is true for familiarity of home, with all of it's beautiful glories of friend's visits, clean showers, and a homecooked meal. Plus a place you can do your laundry without having to be stationary for 4 hours. While I love T-town and would honestly never leave if my parents didn't mope about it, there is nothing that can compare to a wiggling dog or a giant bed. Nothing.

I'm very thankful that I not only love home, but I love Tuscaloosa. Everything about the place makes me swell with pride, from the college town vibe, to the friendliness, to the way the campus looks at night without any of the hustle and bustle I grow accustomed to seeing during the day and expected to be 24/7. I even love my classes, from reading Alexander the Great to scanning the pages of the New York Times for Journalism. I love the people, old friends mixed with new friends and friends yet to come. I love the coziness of room 1107, but the growing comfort of the Alpha Chi house. I'm not exaggerating when I say you have to drag me out to 459 to head home. And all that being said, keep the prayers coming for opportunity and a full sense of place.

To the moon and back,
Ali

"Read books. Care about things. Get excited. Ty not to be too down on yourself. Enjoy the ever present game of knowing." – Hank Green

1 comment:

  1. Proud of you for learning your way around town...loved having you home for a few days this weekend...and don't you worry, I'm praying for that full sense of place every single day!!

    ReplyDelete